Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Buena Vista Social Club

I love, love, love this CD. Afro-Cuban jazz at it's finest. I first came upon Buena Vista Social Club while listening to an online radio station a while ago. The song Chan Chan started to play and from the first few chords I was drawn in. Then this achingly beautiful horn solo comes out of nowhere and my ears just about melted in sheer pleasure. Other notable tracks: El Cuarto De Tula, El Carretero and Dos Gardenias.
Check out the Amazon link above to stream some of the music and this PBS site for more info. If you like what you hear, let me know and I'll send along the songs. :)

---
Round 2 in the interview game was yesterday. Well, first I had to stop off at the place where I had the 1st interview to do a 33 page personality test. I don't know what is up with this company. How many more damn tests do I have to do? Then I rushed over to the second company, and met with a senior manager and project leader. Lo and behold the senior manager says "Not to put you on the spot but I have some problems I want you to work on." and pulls out a pile of papers. Another "test"! Turns out I had to write 2 essays and do three math word problems in 15 minutes. I felt like was taking a final for school and I hadn't studied at all! I think I squeezed out some decent answers but we'll see. I really liked this company, but I don't want to get my hopes up. I can't wait til this is all over...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joy,

You should've busted out your red crayon and wrote, "THIS SH*T IS THE DUMBEST STUFF I HAVE EVER SEEN" in huge lettering on their tests. That would have got you hired on the spot. ;)

joy said...

Haha! If I have more of this shiet to look forward to then maybe staying at S*** L** isn't so bad!

joy said...

Dude, I don't either! It's kinda like that deer caught in the headlights feeling. Good luck with your interviews!